Or at least I’m trying to catch up.
We’ve had a tough couple of weeks in our family. My 93 year old grandmother went to be with Jesus two Sundays ago. No matter how much you think you might be ready for something like this, you never are. She was my last living Grandparent, and an absolutely amazing little lady. Nataline “Nora” Saraceni deserves to have some things written about her. So, my plan is to do that, here in a post, as soon as I can get it together. She took a piece of my heart with her. She will be missed.
I just finished up the book of Romans in my devotions this morning. What an awesome book. God speaks to me new and afresh every time I read it.
This particular time, chapter 12 stood out to me a little different. Let me explain. One of the ways I learn is through writing. I like to take notes. I love to write out my thoughts. Putting things down on paper gives substance to them. It makes it so the myriad of thoughts in my head are not just in my head. So, I decided to list out what Paul says in verses 3-21 of chapter 12. He’s talking about the Christians responsibility toward God. I love this because it’s so simple in his words. Listing it out brought it even more to life for me.
He starts the chapter by saying,
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
And now for the list…I title it, My Responsibility
1. Don’t think more highly of myself than I ought to think – verse 3
2. Think soberly of myself – verse 3
3. Use my gifts as God has given them to me – verse 6-8
4. Love without hypocrisy – verse 9
5. Abhor evil – verse 9
6. Cling to what is good – verse 9
7. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love – verse 10
8. Honor one another and give preference to one another – verse 10
9. Don’t lag in diligence – verse 11
10. Be fervent in the Spirit – verse 11
11. Serve the Lord – verse 11
12. Rejoice in hope – verse 12
13. Be patient in tribulation – verse 12
14. Continue steadfast in prayer – verse 12
13. Give to the needs of the saints – verse 13
14. Be hospitable – verse 13
15. Bless those who persecute you – verse 14
16. Bless and do not curse – verse 14
17. Rejoice with those who rejoice – verse 15
18. Weep with those who weep – verse 15
19. Be of the same mine toward one another – verse 16
20. Don’t set my mind on high things – verse 16
21. Associate with the humble – verse 16
22. Don’t be wise in my own eyes – verse 16
23. Don’t repay evil for evil – verse 17
24. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men – verse 17
25. If at all possible, as much as I can, live peaceably with all men – verse 18
26. Don’t avenge myself (God will take care of it) – verse 19
27. Don’t overcome evil with evil – verse 21
28. Overcome evil with good – verse 21
I replaced the yous and yours with I’s and mines and wow, it all came to life.
Well, just wanted to share that. Hope it blesses someone today.
I’ll leave you with another beautiful picture taken up where we meet for church at the Rio Lindo Academy. Rachel took this one. The colors are breathtaking. Yet another beautiful season..Winter.